Description: This class is a mix of lecture and training exercises. We will focus on the skills needed to successfully participate in pet assisted therapy. Many of these skills build on the intermediate obedience skills, while others may be brand new to you and your dog. Exercises will include: polite greetings, approaching people using medical devices (wheelchair, cane, walker), challenging “leave its”, and exposure to scenarios typically encountered during therapy work. Information will also be presented on the numerous therapy organizations, how to become a registered therapy team, and how to have a positive therapy experience that benefits you, your dog and the recipient.
- Manners 3 (or complete an evaluation, demonstrating that level of training)
- AKC Canine Good Citizen title
- Dogs must be current on vaccinations.
- If you are new to WAGD, review Be Ready for Group Class and WAGD Policies prior to enrollment.
- Enrollment – four consecutive weekly 50 minute class meetings at your designated day/time. No make-ups are available.
After enrollment, watch for a confirmation email with important details.
Schedule: If no classes are listed, please call 214-297-3000 to be placed on the interest list.